Project Information (2 researchers)
About the project
Subproject F2 focuses on stakeholder perceptions and opportunities for stakeholder participation and collaboration in river management. Our study area is the Waal river region where the longitudinal dams are constructed (Tiel-Wamel-Dreumel-Ophemert). Regarding stakeholder perceptions, we focus on local residents, recreational anglers and boaters, and inland shipping, studying how these stakeholders perceive the changes that come about by the construction and implementation of the longitudinal dams. Regarding participation and collaboration, one way to actively involve stakeholders and invest in a dialogue is through participatory monitoring (PM), i.e. involving local stakeholders in collecting, analysing and evaluating monitoring data. Setting up a PM pilot project will be one of Laura’s primary research objectives, while Wessel will focus on the measurement of stakeholder perceptions. Read two-pages overview >>
Documents & Publications
- Ganzevoort, W., van den Born, R.J.G., Verbrugge, L.N.H. (2017), Engaging riverine stakeholders in evaluating major landscape changes: Results from public perception research. International Symposium on Society and Resource Management, 18-22 June in Umeå, Sweden.
- Verbrugge, L.N.H., Ganzevoort, W. , Fliervoet, J.M., Panten, K., van den Born, R.J.G. (2016), Implementing participatory monitoring in river management: The role of stakeholders' perspectives and incentives, Journal of Environmental Management, ISSN 0301-4797, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.11.035.
- Verbrugge, L.N.H., Ganzevoort, W. , van den Born, R.J.G. (2016), Who’s in and why? Stakeholder incentives for participatory monitoring in river management. Proceedings of the International Conference on Citizen Observatories for Water Management (COWM2016), 7-9 June 2016, Venice, Italy, pp. 60-61.
- Verbrugge, L.N.H., van den Born, R.J.G. (2016), The role of place attachment in attitudes towards re-landscaping river interventions. Book of abstracts 24th International Association for People-environment Studies (IAPS) conference, 27 June - 1 July, 2016 in Lund, Sweden, pp. 210.
- Verbrugge, L.N.H., van den Born, R.J.G., (2015) Beleving langsdammen: nulmeting onder bewoners, sportvissers, recreatievaarders en binnenvaartschippers. (Public perceptions of longitudinal training dams: a baseline study among local residents, recreational anglers and boaters, and shipping professionals). Report commissioned by Rijkswaterstaat Oost-Nederland, (2015), Radboud University, Nijmegen. 106 p. (in Dutch).
- Verbrugge, L.N.H., van den Born, R.J.G., (2015), Why social science matters in river management: involvement of localstakeholders in monitoring the effects of room for the river measures inthe Netherlands, European Geosciences Union (EGU) General Assembly, (2015), Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 17, EGU2015-12956-1, 12-17 April 2015 in Vienna, Austria.